In the news this week is the story of a Texan man who was startled by a snake at his local Starbucks when he went to use the loo. Bruce Ahlswede responded as anyone would – he called in staff and his wife to take a look.
Fortunately, the snake was harmless and disappeared shortly after the man’s wife snapped a photo.
Snakes in toilets are such a regular occurrence that I could dedicate whole blog posts to them. From rattlesnakes in porta-loos to cobras using loos to gain access to classrooms, there really is a horror story for every occasion.
In August 2013, a Croatian student found this massive snake in the toilet of her uncle’s place where she goes to study, because it’s quiet… While not poisonous (like that somehow makes it okay!) the snake is still terrifying. The student and her family named the snake Bosko.
Other folks haven’t been quite so lucky. Earlier this year, an Israeli man had his penis bitten by a non-venomous snake. Despite his injury, paramedics say the man was able to ‘have a laugh at his own expense’.
Of course, we who have the luxury of toilets shouldn’t complain. Toilet snake attacks are relatively rare. It could be worse – you could have to pee outside where you’re really in danger of getting bitten.